09 February 2010

A (short) review: “How I got published: Famous Authors Tell You in Their Own Words” Edited by Ray White & Duane Lindsay.

I recently read How I Got Published: Famous Authors Tell you in Their Own Words edited by Ray White and Duane Lindsay. Even though I wasn’t familiar with the writers (a lot of them seem to be mystery/thriller writers and I don’t read that genre very much), I enjoyed the book. It gives a realistic yet inspirational glimpse into what writers do after they toil away and have typed up a manuscript.

The book is essentially a collection of advice for new/unpublished writers. The sage voices vary in style/tone and the authors have had different degrees of luck. Still the advice consistently boils down to: you’re a writer if you are compelled to write and actually write; don’t give up; however, don’t quit your day job (yet).

I think it’s courageous that these writers produce manuscripts and keep plugging along rejection after rejection with absolutely no guarantee of success. Even though the advice is specifically about writing, the suggestion is generally helpful to all young people: there are no guarantees so do what you love, don’t give up, but (of course) have a backup plan (i.e. a job).

The advice aside, I loved reading about what is a completely mysterious process behind the writing and the publication of books.

No comments: