29 January 2010

R.I.P J.D. Salinger and Howard Zinn

We lost two great writers in one day: both J.D. Salinger and Howard Zinn passed away last Wed.

I have always liked Salinger’s Franny and Zooey more than The Catcher in the Rye. In fact, Franny and Zooey was my favorite book in high school. I still remember gobbling up the book one hot summer night in 10th grade.

I have never finished Zinn’s A People’s History of the United States for the reason that it is too depressing and I can’t seem to take more than one chapter at a time.

Rest in Peace.

2 comments:

Michael Dickison said...

Hello Moo,
Is it my fault this time our emails stalled? I promise to write right after this. I just thought I'd comment how I love Franny and Zooey.
Which is the one that starts at the train station? Franny, isn't it. I love love that scene.
And Raise High the Roof Beams, Carpenters and Seymour, an Introduction.
Oh...
Michael

bibliophile said...

no no.. not your fault. nobody's fault. and yes, franny and zooey is the one with the train station. i love how we have similar taste in fiction (tender is the night...)