06 December 2009

Readings (Un)done.

It’s December. And although there is a whole lot of marketing to distract us, it’s really hard to not to ignore, which we’ve actually been able to do quite successfully all year, the things we haven’t accomplished for this year. Case in point: the books I have planned to read this year yet have not gnaw on me.

Some of the books I haven’t finished do not upset me terribly. I am perfectly okay with myself, for example, for not finishing Home Comforts: The Art & Science of Keeping House by Cheryl Mendelson. I can become more domestic next year. Besides, the only person I know who has read this book through is Esther.

Oh but Jane Austen! She bring me back to June of this year, the month I’ve even named the Jane Austen Month. At the end of Spring, I, so full of promise for the year, purchased an elaborate and beautiful volume containing every Jane Austen novel. Half a year later, I now have to admit to having gotten more use out of the book adjusting the fan height in my room than turning its pages.

Feeling rather dejected and upset at myself, I started reading the Austen book again last month. The beauty and the clarity of her writing makes me feel even worse: How could I have deprived myself only because it hurts my wrist to hold up this mammoth book!

Well, I am not sure if I can start 2010 having read all of Austen novels, but hope to make a dent in the anthology this month as I move on to feel guilty about other previously forgotten but now remembered old year’s resolutions.

1 comment:

JackPo said...

Hey, how are you doing? Have you made your next move yet? We should talk.