10 December 2009

Jane Austen.

I am falling quite in love with Jane Austen. Although I've only read 2 of her books so far (Pride and Prejudice as a teenager and hated it; Northanger Abbey recently and loved it), I am quite positive she is one of my favorite authors. Her sentences are not elaborate and experimental like Virginia Woolf's, but I think she's got the psychology down acutely and playfully. I am already sad for my future self who has already read all of her books.

Right now, I am working through Sense and Sensibility. The characters’ Myers-Briggs personality traits are caricatured in hilarious ways. Austen makes the characters seem so human: they are terribly annoying but also so terribly vulnerable. I suppose that’s why I find myself rooting for the characters, all of them, to find true love and, ultimately, contentment. What's great about an Austen novel is I know they will have a happily-ever-after if they just hold on patiently for the last chapter.

2 comments:

Peg said...

Oh, how I envy you, reading Jane Austen for the first time . . .

Don't neglect Lady Susan, her lesser known novelette written at the age of, I think, seventeen or so.

bibliophile said...

Thanks! Luckily, Lady Susan IS included in my anthology and I will definitely read it.