07 January 2009

remedy

I had no choice but to start another book when I was already actively reading 3. Here's the thing: two of them are long and one I read only on the bus. So... it seems like I won't actually finish a book in awhile and that means I can't enter a book in my list of books read. And even though I did the calculations and decided that if I read 100 pages a day, I will read 100 books this year, I am nonetheless feeling anxious. It's a phase I know but the paranoia is definitely making me not enjoy Middlemarch as much. So the solution: Read Freud's "The Ego and the Id," a 56 page book that I intended on reading anyway.

The problem with short books, however, is that they tend to be dense. I remember in college that the 50 page reading assignments were always tougher than 250 pg reading assignments. And so it turns out the Freud book is actually quite involved. But still, I will definitely take less time to read that than Middlemarch.

So I will finish the short book, enter it in my list, confirm that I will in fact see the end of books this year, and all is well once again. It is challenging living a neurotic life.

No comments: