05 January 2009

conciseness is overrated.

Good writing should be concise and clear. Arguments should have a logical flow and a writer should weed out all unnecessary words.

Yes, I really believe that... but when I read Montaign's essays or Burton's "The Anatomy of Melancholy," I do find the rambling on and on style of writing charming. I wish I can just go on and on about my topic as well as tangential issues. Readers are not patient, I know, but reading Montaign or Burton makes me feel like I am sitting in a room with some really old dude and listening to him talk about everything. You can listen intermittently and still come away feeling wiser.

Ah... the good old old old days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i did a lot of stream-of-consciousness writing when i was in new york. it was perhaps a bit chaotic, but still felt productive / satisfying.

-dan lee

bibliophile said...

hi dan! you should continue to write your thoughts out. I find that it untangles my mind somewhat. what can be more satisfying?