16 June 2014

Anxiously

Got a new confusing phone. I have given in to the whole texting thing. So why not the kindle? I wanted to try J. G. Ballard and was able to have it in my hand in seconds. So this is definitely more convenient. But although I know text exists beyond a physical book, I could not divorce writing from the volume I was reading. My memory of Mrs. Dalloway is intimately integrated with the sensation of holding the Whitestone library volume and how the plastic protecting the cover was sticking to my hand as I started to sweat either from the summer heat or from the scary page-long initiating sentence. Now will words be more abstract? Or will I remember them as being framed by the white galaxy phone I had during this transition period in my life as I prepare to enter the legal profession? Well, only one way to find out by starting High Rise.

No comments: