30 October 2011

Tabula rasa: a new pose and a new sketchbook

I performed my Sunday routine: all my pencils have been sharpened and ready for another week of drawing. Tomorrow in Michael Grimaldi’s class, I start a new pose, pose number 11, and a new adventure. Tomorrow I also start a new sketchbook. I already miss the familiar tattered sketchbook and I am getting a little nervous about being without my notes from end of July to end of Oct. I am, however, ready meet another set of sketches, demo notes, quotes, and thoughts… a chronicle of my artistic development and obsessive fretting.

At the end of my outgoing sketchbook, I am a different student artist than I was at the beginning. There’s the fact that I was introduced to so many new and exciting ideas such as constructing the ribcage and the pelvis, and modelling. But more importantly, somewhere between the pages, I have decided to take my studies more seriously and become an artist. Who will I be at the end of the new sketchbook? I don’t think I can trump all the exciting firsts that happened during the reign of the outgoing sketchbook… and yet, somehow, based on my experience with drawing & painting so far, I know that more wonderful than imaginable things will happen between the pages of my new sketchbook too. And for that, I am thrilled and terrified.

No comments: