23 June 2009

A Sluggish Saturday...

The Ingredients:
  • Rain that tappity taps.
  • A new skein of bright yellow cotton bamboo yarn on its way to becoming a summer scarf.
  • An ornate Jane Austen book.
  • A cup of joe.
  • The Saturday Show on WNYC.
  • A week old (almost) New York Times Magazine.
  • And a mind made up to enjoy a rainy Saturday morning reading and knitting instead of fretting.
The New York Times magazine is a lot more manageable now that it's 9% less in its size. But I don't think I would've noticed if the editor didn't write a cute note. In fact, I am surprised that it was and still is, even after the shrinking, "one of the tallest and widest magazines in America." After handling the extremely unwieldy paper, the magazine has always felt docile. Still any change to the New York Times upsets me. What's more upsetting also is that I think this sensitivity to change signals I am getting old. But this one is not as upsetting as say the disappearance of "The City" section because the accompanying changes in the design of the magazine are quite pleasing. I like the new font (what's the difference between a font and a typeset?), the new icons and the new layout. The only thing I don't like is the decision to crop the photo of the Deborah Solomon interviewee. I liked the way it was before when the full length photo makes the person seem larger than life. Oh but I should stop complaining lest I become an old harping lady.

No comments: