15 May 2008

really long books

I have an ongoing list of books I want to read. Some books have been on the list for years, some dating back to high school. The reason why those lovely books can't get off the waitlist? They are too long. I want to read, for example:

Gone with the Wind
Middlemarch
War and Peace

Korea's place in the sun
A people's history of the United States

The interpretation of dreams
Being and nothingness

and

The Einstein and Virginia Woolf biographies.


Well, when I think of a book, I think 300 pages +/- 50 pages. So I am just not sure if I can get involved with a 500+ pg book. That is a huge commitment, and I know it won't be a monogamous relationship. If I want to finally get to the longer tomes, I need to either learn to read faster or work on my commitment issues. Both seem very challenging.

But I am dying to read some of the books listed above. So I've trying out a system where I am simultaneously reading 3-4 books at a time, making one of those 3 or 4 books a really long one. And it's sorta working for now, but I still feel some books get neglected.

Why is nothing in life easy, automatic, etc? The most basic skills, maybe especially those, need a lot of work. What to eat... when to sleep... how to talk to people... how to get things done efficiently... how to stay healthy... how to love... hard hard hard.

No comments: