26 March 2008

copycat

It's probably a safe guess that Michael Cunningham is a Virginia Woolf fan. But I was so ecstatic when I found out that Virginia Woolf had initially titled Mrs. Dalloway, The Hours. I thought I had found some great literary gem, a gem I mostly wanted to share with Ken. But anyway, yesterday, I found the phrase, specimen days, in Virginia Woolf's published journal, A Writer's Diary. Okay, maybe I am too ignorant, or this is a sign that English is not my native language... but I honestly have not seen the phrase "specimen days" anywhere else but as the title of Michael Cunningham's book. Is it possible that he got it from v. woolf's diary? I mean it's such a poetic phrase. It certainly stands out. He probably read woolf's A Writer's Diary when he was researching for The Hours...Well, it's high plausible that he has read A Writer's Diary way before writing The Hours because he admires v. woolf. Would anyone correct me if I am wrong and that the phrase, specimen days, is actually a really common term?

Well whatever the verdict, I am always glad to think about how there are other v. woolf fans out there. It makes me feel connected to humanity or something.

No comments: